You don’t have to break the bank in order to give your kitchen the look of luxury – and you certainly don’t have to go through the trouble and expense of installing a new one, either. Homeowners feeling the pinch are using a number of creative and cost-effective tricks to ensure that they get the most from their kitchens, without spending over the odds. Whether you’ve got a large or small kitchen, take a look through our list of tips; there’s sure to be something in there you can use!
1) Crown moldings are a simple yet effective way to add both height and class to your kitchen. They’re simple to fit and, with a lick of paint, can help you add your stamp to your surroundings. Alternatively, you can buy them in ready-made colours, saving you a bit of time. Fix these to the tops of your wall cabinets, extending their height to ceiling level and give your kitchen that touch of elegance it’s been missing.
2) Your kitchen cupboard doors might be letting the side down; they cover the greatest surface area in your kitchen and are the first to show signs of wear and tear. Going to a good refurbishment company that makes doors will not only allow you to give your kitchen a virtual makeover, allowing you to choose the materials, finish and style, but you’ll also get doors that fit – even on those quirky little cupboards that seem to defy conventional doors.
3) Using wood is a great way to add natural warmth and a touch of rustic chic to your cooking HQ. Wooden counter tops and even flooring can give your kitchen a superb facelift without too much hassle.
4) It’s all about the details, so don’t forget door-front decorations, such as door knobs and pulls. Investing in good quality and eye-catching doorknobs might seem like a little thing, but it can really impact on the way your kitchen looks. These are available in a huge range of styles and materials, so you can either complement what you’ve already got, or add the finishing touch to doors and drawers that you’ve had replaced.
5) Kitchen sinks have caught the eyes of designers and can be a great way to add some contemporary or classic style to your kitchen. If you’re on a budget, you might want to consider just upgrading your sink, rather than anything else. New designs are incorporating integrated glass worktops and stylish mixer taps. However, if your kitchen leans towards the classic, then butler sinks with plenty of character are probably the way to go.
6) Splash-back tiles are often overlooked, but giving them an upgrade can help to give your kitchen focus and style. While replacing them is the obvious choice, there are alternatives if your budget won’t stretch that far. Tile paints can be used to repaint all of your tiles or to create patterns by just painting some of them. In addition, you can source tile-stencils to help you create modern or classic designs.